ISU members in UK Visas and Immigration carry out wide-ranging functions within the immigration system.
UKVI are responsible for:-
- Managing UK visa issuing operations at British Embassies and High Commissions around the world
- Running Public Enquiry Offices in the UK and ‘Managed Migration’ case-working Teams, who decide all ‘in country’ applications for extensions of stay, up to and including permanent residency
- Managing European casework, including the registration for UK residency of EU citizens and dependants
- Running the Immigration Appeals system, including defence of Home Office decisions at Immigration Tribunal, along with high profile case litigation in the courts
- Managing the asylum system, arranging support for asylum seekers, deciding applications and arranging removal of those who do not qualify from the UK
Our members in UKVI undertake a wide variety of valuable functions, from far-flung points of the compass overseas to our larger UK based operations in Croydon, Liverpool and Sheffield.
The ISU understands the pressures that our members in UKVI are under. Our reps all have backgrounds in in Immigration and Borders. Our members in UKVI suffer under tremendous workloads due to under investment. Members are subject to scrutiny and criticism on their decisions, often from outside agencies with no knowledge of the system.
Members have been targeted due to the nature of the work they re involved in. The ISU has experience in supporting our members in these environments and will stand with you.